Wool is produced from the fleece of sheep. It is a natural fiber that is known for its
strength, durability and luxurious softness. Higher-quality wools usually come from New Zealand or Tibet. This is because their sheep produce high levels of lanolin. This natural substance enhances the fiber’s strength and texture.
The benefits of wool are that it is soft, durable, and easy to clean.Wool is durable, resilient, affords comfort and safety – and wool is a renewable resource! Wool fibers are naturally superior to synthetic fibers, as well as longer lasting, inherently flame retardant and resistant to dirt and crushing.
Wool rugs… whether chosen as art for your home (like older antique pieces),
investment pieces to hand down to your kids, or simply an attractive, strong, elegant choice for your room – you really can’t go wrong here.
Wool is the best choice for a rug if you are really, truly are looking for the best.
– SUPERIOR TEXTURE RETENTION & RESILIENCE… Due to the natural crimp that is inherent in wool fiber.
-SUPERIOR WEAR — Wool looks better longer and “Wears Gracefully”. Over time it gets a fantastic PATINA and look to it. Wool rugs age beautifully, at least the ones with great quality wool and dyes do. We have rugs come into our shop that are 100 plus years old, and they look fantastic.
– NATURALLY SOLID & STAIN RESISTANT. Wool has a natural ability to resist staining and soiling. In fact it has more than a 30% higher rate of stain resistance than even the best synthetic fibers. It’s so good at resisting stains because of the natural light lanolin that coats the surface of the wool. This coating helps stop dirt and stains from actually penetrating the wool leaving any soiling on or near the surface. 88% of spills in the home are water-based. Wool is water-repellent due to a fine natural protective layer. When liquid is spilled on your wool carpet, it will form beads on the surface, allowing time for you to blot them up before they can be absorbed and cause a stain.
-WATER RESISTANT. This protective barrier also stops water from easily penetrating the wool fiber making wool water resistant. But more than being water resistant wool is able to absorb about 1/3 of its weight in moisture and yet still not feel damp.
It also has a natural moisture repellency. This means when you spill on it, the liquid will be suspended for a time before it soaks into the fibers. So when you spill on a rug, if you blot it up quickly, you are often just fine.
– SUPERIOR DYE FASTNESS… Due to wool’s natural ability to take in dyes.
– NATURALLY FIRE RETARDANT and wool is self extinguishing and doesn’t melt. Wool is the fiber of choice for casinos and airlines for this reason alone. Wool fibers won’t carry a flame, so they self-extinguish (unlike some synthetic fibers that burn like crazy). Because of this wool is an excellent choice for any room in your home and especially for children’s rooms.
– Slightly higher initial cost massively offset by product longevity and ease of maintenance. WOOL CARPET ACTUALLY COSTS LESS! A good handmade rug should last for a century or even two if properly taken care of. Handmade rugs can be repaired, even entire portion re woven or knotted and almost any damage can be fixed. This is not the case in their machine made counter parts.
– WOOL IS WARMER IN THE WINTER AND COOLER IN THE SUMMER. Wool naturally feels better, is more resilient, and helps moderate temperature and humidity in the home by absorbing and releasing moisture as needed. One way wool carpet might justify its cost is by reducing your heating and air conditioning bills. Wool is a great insulator, so it will limit the transfer of heat (or cool air) from the outside world into your home. They insulate rooms 10 times more than hardwood floors, thus reducing heating bills and making your home cozier and more comfortable.
– Wool’s natural soil and stain resistance allows for wool to require LESS CLEANING THAN SYNTHETICS. It is estimated that a wool carpet can hold up to 1 pound of dirt per square foot before it looks dirty. Bleach will totally dissolve wool.
– Wool is a renewable resource and is biodegradable. Wool is a way to be kind to Mother Earth. WOOL IS GREEN AND IS RECYCLABLE.
– WOOL’S SOFT & NATURAL FEEL to the hand and beauty underfoot simply cannot be achieved with any synthetic fiber.
– Wool’s natural luster and gentle light reflection characteristics give a home or office an ELEGANT AND PEACEFUL BACKGROUND.
– Wool Carpet is a NON SLIP SURFACE. Wool carpet is slip-resistant and comfortable to walk and stand on. The texture of the wool pile produces superior surface friction, which is important to maintaining good traction and grip as you walk. Wool’s unique structure and resilience provide the support and confidence necessary to maintain balance and coordination, which are particularly important for fall prevention for toddlers and the elderly.
– Wool Carpets are SOUND REDUCING. Reduction of sound transmitted between floors, and your perception of sounds, depend on the frequency waves of the sound. Wool carpet will reduce sleep disturbances and noise distraction between bedrooms because of its natural ability to absorb a wider range of frequencies. The soft pile cushions the impact of footsteps, dropped objects and furniture movement, absorbing and muffling sounds.
– Wool is HYPOALLERGENIC AND ORGANIC. Wool carpet comes off the sheep’s back and can be manufactured without any dyes or synthetic chemicals. This makes it hypoallergenic (for those not allergic to wool) and great for parents who are concerned about exposing their kids to chemicals.